A. Generic knowledge, skills and attitudes in specialty training
Generic knowledge, skills and attitudes in specialty training
Content of Learning
Aims of Training
The trainee should acquire the appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills of a Specialist Orthodontist. Trainees should possess a sense of professionalism, interest and enquiry. These characteristics should encourage the specialist to maintain competency throughout their career by the continuous pursuit of Continuing Professional Development.
Objectives of the 3 year programme
On completion of training the graduate will demonstrate the following aptitudes:
Generic Specialist Skills
- A professional and ethical approach to patient care.
- A professional attitude to all members of the dental team.
- A scientific attitude, an inquiring mind and the stimulation of professional curiosity.
- A thorough understanding of scientific methodology.
- An ability to interpret the relevant literature.
- An awareness of current legislation and working practices relating to the practice of dentistry.
- An ability to develop themselves by both reflective practice and self evaluation.
- An ability to teach (this includes all members of the dental team).
- An ability to promote and apply dental health education.
Orthodontic Specific Specialist Skills
- Diagnose anomalies of the dentition.
- Detect deviations in the development of the dentition, of facial growth and the possession of functional abnormalities.
- Evaluate the need for orthodontic treatment.
- Formulate a treatment plan and predict its course.
- Carry out interceptive orthodontic measures.
- Execute simple and complex treatment procedures.
- Evaluate orthodontic progress and treatment outcomes.
- Possess an overview of the multidisciplinary approach for the treatment of dentally and medically compromised patients.
- Be able to acquire and interpret research information and data.
- Be able to prepare oral and written clinical and research findings.
Section A - Generic Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
Module 1 - Cell and Molecular Biology with Genetics
Module 2 - Embryology, growth and development of the face and jaws
Module 3 - Psychology
Module 4 - Research with ICT
Module 5 - Radiological Imaging Techniques
Module 6 - Oral Health
Module 7 - Dental Health Education
Module 8 - Health and Safety
Module 9 - Clinical Governance